Monday, April 7, 2014

He Has Risen!

Easter is only two weeks away. So, in honor of our Lord Jesus Christ, this Make it Monday project is an Easter centerpiece. It depicts the  three crosses to remind us of His crucifixion and death which paid the price for our sin as well as the empty tomb which proved his resurrection, conquering sin and death. I found this idea on Pinterest. I was unable to locate the original source. Whoever you are... thank you for the inspiration!

This is a simple project that the kids can help you with. My youngest son Layne helped me out. You will obviously need to do this in advance of Easter Sunday in order for your grass to grow. (I really should have made mine sooner.) You can substitute moss or groundcover plants from your local nursery if you wish to do this as an Easter project.

This is the photo which inspired my project.


Our scene is similar to this although I had to improvise on some of my materials. Here's the list of what we used.

1 plastic oil pan (couldn't find a terracotta base large enough)
1 small plastic pot
Dirt from the yard (Free!)
Small stones + 1 large rock for the tombstone (also from the yard)
Several small twigs
Raffia
Grass seed


This is all that I purchased. Everything else was found around the house. All together it only cost me about $5.00 at Walmart.
 

Layne filled our pan with dirt from the yard. 
 
 
 
We buried out pot sideways in the dirt making our tomb mound. Found the perfect flat rock for the tombstone out in the field along with smaller stones for our path. (No shortage of rocks on the property here!)
 
 
We needed sticks for our crosses so we went across the field to hunt for some since we don't have any trees yet on our property. Farmer Fred has a wooded spot in his field where we found lots of twigs. Thanks Fred!
 

Next we added our grass seed. I moistened the soil first with a spray bottle and then spritzed it again after seeding to water it.


To make our crosses we cut our twigs to length and tied them together with some natural raffia that I had on hand. I think that it turned out really great! Hopefully the grass will sprout before Easter but, even if it doesn't, it is still a wonderful reminder of what this season is all about.

"But the angel said to the women, "Do not be afraid, for I know that you seek Jesus who was crucified. He is not here, for He has risen, as He said. Come, see the place where he lay.""                  Matthew 28:5-6

Enjoy making your own resurrection scene and have a great day!
God Bless!
Tina:)

No comments:

Post a Comment