Monday, April 14, 2014

Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars



One of my kids favorite treats is on the agenda today for Make it Monday, Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars. My children packed these in their lunch when they were in school and I even sent these to my son Joshua when he was stationed in Afghanistan with the Marine Corps. He told me that he had to start stashing them when I sent them so that his buddies wouldn't eat them all. They are always a hit!

It is a simple and pretty quick treat to whip up. The boys came rushing to the kitchen to see what I was baking this morning once that yummy smell wafted upstairs. It was hard to get them to wait until they cooled to have one!

Chewy Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
(Makes 24 Bars)

Ingredients:
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2/3 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
1/3 wheat germ
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 13x9 inch pan. In a large bowl, combine brown sugar, peanut butter, corn syrup, butter and vanilla: blend well.
 



Stir in remaining ingredients.




Press mixture evenly in prepared pan.




Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool completely.



Cut into bars.




Optional Ingredients:
1/2 cup coconut
1/2 cup sunflowers nuts
1/2 cup raisins
2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
You can substitute carob chips if desired

I like to wrap them in waxed paper before I put them in the cookie jar to keep them from sticking together as they are chewy and gooey (Yum). It also makes them easier to grab and go when packing snacks or lunches. Not that they last all that long!

As you can see they are really easy to make and trust me, everyone will love them. You can add just about anything (or everything) in these to suit your own personal taste. Make it your own!

Enjoy!
Tina:)

No comments:

Post a Comment