Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Wash Day & Walipinis



Every Wednesday is wash day. I know, not the most exciting chore around the house. Today has me smiling and singing a song in my heart though. This sunny spring weather we have been given today makes the task much more enjoyable.

I decided that this weather was just too nice not to be taken advantage of. So, I dragged out my drying racks (a clothes line is on the "honey do" list) and hung out some clothes to dry. It not only saves me money on my electric bill but I absolutely love the way fresh hung clothes smell!

Of course, I use my homemade laundry soap which I do not scent. I prefer not to use scents in my laundry soap because I figure that with all the other scents in other products we use, why add to it. You can find the recipe for my laundry soap here http://myhomesteadingproject.blogspot.com/2014/02/homemade-cleaners-that-work-save-you.html.

That is really all you can say about laundry though. Not very exciting. I did find something very exciting though as I web surfed between loads. (I absolutely believe in multi-tasking!) Since I am planning my garden now, I have been searching all the garden sites for tips and tricks for maximum harvest. That is when I came upon this and knew that I just had to share it with you.

Walipini

Build a $300 underground greenhouse for year-round gardening

The article on TreeHugger.com shows you how to build a Walipini. It is basically an underground greenhouse. They were developed over 20 years ago in the South American mountains by the Ayamara Indians to grow food in their cold climate. It is an awesome idea and I much prefer this to a standard greenhouse.

The article shows how to build one and also has a video made by a family that has one and how they have theirs set up. I think it is absolutely brilliant! It is definitely something that is going on the "honey do" list! (Poor man) Of course I will help though. I love to get my hands dirty!

A Walipini would definitely be the answer to growing more produce during the winter. Especially things like lettuce and fresh tomatoes which don't keep. You could also grow things like strawberries and melons to have fresh fruit. The possibilities are endless. Just talking about it is getting me excited! I want to go start digging the hole now!

Anyway, although I would love to start now, the laundry (and other chores) are calling. This has given me something to mull over today as I work though. I hope it has inspired you too.

Have a great day today!
Tina :)


No comments:

Post a Comment