Thursday, March 6, 2014

Paper or Poisonous Plastic?


Ok, all of us know that plastic is bad stuff! It's one of those things that I have known for years but have never been very diligent to do anything about. I mean, it is everywhere! You can hardly escape it. So, what's a person to do? Well, I am finally going to try to do whatever I can to eliminate as much as I can from my home.
I recently read an excellent article about plastics (it is a little long but worth the read) at http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2014/03/tritan-certichem-eastman-bpa-free-plastic-safe?page=1. [Disclaimer: I do not agree with many of the views on this site but the article referenced is very good.] It really hit home and hit hard. I knew that I finally had to do something about it for my family. After all, I have eliminated all the paper products in my home. I know that I will not be able to get rid off all the plastic in my house (I can't very well rip the PVC pipes out of the walls) but there are things that I can do.

My first task was the kitchen. I have been gradually switching to glass storage containers for food as I have needed replacements. Everything that was plastic came off the shelves! Water bottles, Rubbermaid containers, popsicle forms, Jello molds....almost everything! I say almost because there were a few things like my colander, ice cube trays and measuring spoons that I need to replace with stainless steel before I dispose of them. All the plastic kid's cups, bowls and plates went though along with the plastic pitchers. When my 14yr old son asked what I would do with all the stuff I told him that I would donate it. He said, "so, you are just going to poison other people?" Little smarty pants! Throwing it away means it will end up in a landfill though. So, it is sitting in a box for now. Not sure what to do with it all.

Now one of my biggest dilemmas is what to do about my deep freezer.  I have a freezer full of meat and veggies that I have stored in airtight plastic (seal a meal bags). The bags are BPA free but that is not the only dangerous chemical in plastics. I know that this year I will be canning all of my veggies, but I'm not really keen on canned meat. I know that I can put meats in metal containers, but I stock up when I can. I don't want it all getting freezer burn and spoiling. Not sure what to do. If any of you out there have any tips or tricks I would really appreciate it! Having a stocked pantry and freezer is important to me.

Of course I am getting a little flack from my family! The kids don't like seeing their favorite drinking cups and water bottles go and my husband was kind enough to point out that a lot of my glass containers have plastic lids. (I have found glass containers with glass lids like this Anchor Hocking 12-Cup Baking 'N' Store Dish with Glass Lid on Amazon that I will be getting from now on though.) As he so kindly pointed out, we have plastic everywhere. Thanks! Hadn't noticed! So help me do something about it! (Sorry, sarcasm runs deep in my family.)

It almost feels like an impossible task! The more I look around my house the more plastic I see. I know this will be a huge undertaking but it is one that I feel is important to the health of my crew. After all, it is my job to keep my home safe for everyone. It is a job that I take very seriously.

Well, I apologize if this post has been a little on the dark and depressing side. Unfortunately, I could go on and on but I think that I've made my point. This has just really been on my heart lately, so I decided that I should share it with you all. We are all in this together after all. 

If you have any suggestions for me or would like to share some of the ways that you have eliminated some of your plastic use please do! I would like to hear about it. Thanks for listening to me vent today. I promise to post a more upbeat piece next time.

Tina :)



No comments:

Post a Comment