Monday, March 10, 2014

Homemade Deodorant


As promised, todays "Make It Monday" project is something a little different. I decided to make my own deodorant. In my quest to live a more healthful life this is the next thing that I am tackling, personal care products.

There is much information concerning the dangers of the ingredients contained in the personal products which we use every day. For reasons that I can not fathom, manufacturers continue to make them regardless of the detriments to the health of consumers. I suppose if people continue to purchase them then nothing will ever change. I will no longer be one of those people though.

The aluminum in your typical antiperspirant has been linked to breast cancer among other things. I won't reiterate all the studies and research here as a quick search on the internet will lead you to a plethora of information which will scare you silly! It certainly did me. Hence, my decision to finally make my own homemade personal products starting with my deodorant.

There are tons of recipes on the internet for all types of deodorants. You can find concoctions for powder, spray, roll on, stick or cream. Initially I was going to make a stick type. I even saved and cleaned out old tubes that I had to do just that, but instead I decided to make a cream to start with. (The whole plastic thing, you know.) I figured that way I could perfect my recipe first and then decide whether to make the stick.

After perusing several sites and recipes, I decided to kinda wing it and see what happens. Here is what I came up with.

Homemade Cream Deodorant
(Butters and essential oils can be purchased at Mountain Rose Herbs )

Ingredients:
6 Tbsp. Shea Butter
6 Tbsp. Cocoa Butter
1/4 c. Baking Powder
1/4 c. Baking Soda (Aluminum free)
10 drops Tea Tree Oil
10 drops Lavender Oil

Directions:
In a glass Mason jar, I melted the butters. (I didn't have a double boiler handy so I used my steamer instead. It worked great.)



I turned off the heat and added the powder and soda. Mix well until all the lumps are gone and it is a creamy texture. 


  

This is when I added my oils. All that is left is to pour it into a glass container and let it cool. If you are inpatient you can do what I did and put it in the fridge to speed it up.




I happened to have some really cute old canning jars with tin lids that I received from my mother-in-law. They are the perfect size as this recipe makes approximately 8 oz. of deodorant. After setting up, it is the texture of natural peanut butter. I suspect come summer, it will be more like softened butter. It should last me quite a while.

Now, a couple of quick tips regarding deodorant over antiperspirant. You are going to sweat. The powders in the recipe will help to absorb moisture, but if you are working hard you will still sweat. That is ok and how it should be. God made us to sweat. Some people associate sweating with stinking. Not so! It is the bacteria that grows under your arms that causes odor. The essential oils I chose have anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties to take care of that issue.

You may have an adjustment period while your body is detoxing. I think that I am going through that myself right now. I am using it about every other day while I adjust to it. I do love it though! Just a dab on your finger and apply like lotion to your underarms. It absorbs quickly and I haven't had any discoloration or residue on my shirts like I did with traditional antiperspirants (no matter what they said). I will continue with this formula for a while and adjust it as needed.

I will probably have to make a stick version for my husband and boys though. I don't see them using it as I do. So, I'll add some beeswax and switch up the scents for them. Guess I will be using those recycled tubes after all.

I will let you know how this formula works for us and update as necessary if I find that I need to change anything. If you have a recipe for deodorant or any other personal product that you enjoy please feel free to share them. I will be looking for other recipes to make hair care products next.

Have a great week.

Tina :)



No comments:

Post a Comment