Friday, February 21, 2014

FRIDAY!!!

Every week we look forward to Friday. I'm sure a lot of you do too. It's the end of the work week and the weekend finally arrives. For us, Friday night is Family Night. We play games, watch movies and stay up late spending time together. It is so much fun! It has been a wonderful tool to keep our family closely bonded. We love to spend that time together.

One of my boys favorite things about Friday Family Night is dinner. Pancakes! They love pancakes, so when we started having Family Nights last fall they decided that we should have pancakes every Friday. We don't just have regular pancakes though. We try to come up with different pancake creations each week. We add all kinds of things to our batter, peanut butter, chocolate chips, different fruits, cinnamon, even bacon and many other things. So far they have all been successful (thank goodness) and it makes it really fun to try and come up with original concoctions each week.

So, in honor of Family Night I thought that I would share my "Master Pancake Recipe". I originally got this from a the book Food from an American Farm
by Janeen A Starlin. It has lots of different recipes that I have used over the years. This by far has been the most used and I have tweaked it a bit but I will list it as published here today.



Master Pancake Recipe

Ingredients:
  2 Eggs
  2 cups Flour
  2 Tbsp Sugar
  2 Tbsp Baking Powder
  1 tsp Salt
  1 1/2 cups Milk
  4 Tbsp Butter (melted) or Vegetable Oil
  1 to 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil for greasing pan

Instructions:
  In small mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, milk and butter or oil; beat until smooth. Heat pan until very hot. Lightly grease with oil and pour 1/3 cup batter into pan. Cook until puffed and dry on edges; flip over and cook until golden brown. Serve immediately.

Makes 12 - 6" pancakes

I have found that these freeze well so you can make these ahead and reheat at breakfast time. For fluffiest pancakes, use the batter when you make it. I use my Presto 07037 Jumbo Cool Touch Electric Griddle, Black
to cook these (link is to the latest model as mine is pretty old) and use a temp of between 350 & 375 degrees. If you get the book there is also an recipe for Old Fashioned Griddle Cake Syrup too that is amazing.


I hope that you enjoy the pancakes and have a great weekend. If you don't have a family time of your own, start one. We only have our kids for a short while...enjoy them! You will never be sorry.

Tina





1 comment:

  1. when it comes to laziness in dogs, I use the dog sounds app by Inspire Dogs. Do install on your Android. Also you can search on Apple app store for Inspire Dogs, its available there too.

    ReplyDelete